Skip to main content

Chocolate Grows on Trees? Sign me up!

Are there really such things? 

Yes, Virginia. Chocolate grows on trees.



Willy Wonka's ultimate dream! Rows of trees with bars hanging low for easy picking. 10-12 bars on each branch, 200 or more on each tree- Ready to make into Truffles, bars, creams, sauces and powders. What a dream but alas, all dreams fade in the mornings first light.
Oh, Chocolate does grow on trees, but not like this, though it would make pruning less of chore wouldn't it?





They grow like this. Medium height tree, with the seeds that chocolate is made from set in thick football shaped pods that grow directly out of the trunks and limbs rather than out on the outer portions of the terminal branches on fruit spurs like most other fruit. 



And unlike other fruit, chocolate pods have to go through an intensive set of processing steps to become what we know as Chocolate. Fermenting, drying, classifying, milling, pressing, heating, mixing, tempering and a few I can't remember off the top of my head just to get into an advent calendar, an easter bunny, or a dove bar. 

From "Food Anatomy", Julia Rothman*
Funny thing though, I am allergic to chocolate. So why would I plant this any where near my garden? Easy. JoAnn loves chocolate. I love her, so I planted 2 of our 4 cacao trees (to date) so she could have her favorite type of chocolate, nibs. Nibs are found in the middle of the chocolate process following fermenting and drying and roasting; the nibs are what the dried seeds break into when you do the first rough grind. She loves them. This is a simplified diagram on how chocolate is processed- Link to the book is below.

When I transplanted this tree into the new bed, I noticed these flowers growing on it. I was so excited since all the info I've read said it would take a few years to get pods. This little plant is the biggest we have, but at just 3 feet, I wasn't expecting any blooming this year.  We have plenty of space for more than 4 trees, I'll be planting them all over the property, tucked into small beds here and there- two to three trees to a bed for pollination. These are not self pollinating. 


The bed is roughly 5 feet wide and about 15 feet long. I laid Ohi'a trunks along three sides and filled that space with just over 1500 pounds of mulch, just under 12" deep. Our County provides heat treated mulch for free- you go get. We can haul away up to 10 cubic yards for free, but only one load is put in the truck by skip loader, the rest I have to load by hand. I get one load a day. 

The cacao trees are slow growers so I paired them with papayas we grew from seed. These are fast growers that grow up tall and straight, up to 12-15 feet for some varieties. They are another trunk fruiting plant. The thing with papayas is that they only fruit if they are either a female or a hermaphrodite, males do not produce fruit. And since the papayas are self fertilizing, males are not needed at all.





They are planted in multiples because there is no way to tell if it is a Male, Female or Hermaphrodite until it flowers! The males are then culled and added to the mulch piles, the females and hermaphrodites allowed to grow and fruit.  



I will be adding flowers to all my vegetable and fruit beds to 'round' out their overall look.  Function first, which is food, then aesthetics so a walk in the garden isn't all about just getting the food off the plant, it's also a peaceful place to be. 

Next post: Updates


* Link to the book, "Food Anatomy" :
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-27843/this-illustrated-book-is-the-perfect-gift-for-the-foodies-on-your-list.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grain Sprouting Update

New and Improved Seed Station Or, protecting and taking the stink out of the seeds.   My last post was about the idea of sprouting seeds for our chickens gastronomical pleasure.Since then, I have run into a few problems that I think I have solutions for, we'll see. This is my Sprouting station as built: A standard set of big box store shelf racks set up on the ground near a water source. Seeds soaked in a bucket for 24 hours (convenience, as they need only 8-10 hour soaks) then spread out in an even layer on a 10" x 20" garden tray with pre-punched holes. Problem 1. Water distribution. Dry seeds in one side, flooded on the other. Problem 2.  During the night rats and during the day the birds  are getting to the seeds eating and fouling the trays with husks and their waste. Between the two shifts, I am losing almost half the seeds to these scavengers. This is my Sprouting station as it is today: We added 5 more shelves, a larger water recovery tub for reci

Coop Build Part Three

Installation Time Or, the real business of Construction Okay, the garage build was prep time for making panels, now is the time I consider that the real building got started.  I didn't take a lot of Photos so it looks like a lot happened, which it did. Making each wall a panel allowed for fast assembly. This photo shows the piers in place and the floor set on them. It was sturdy, but a bit too wobbly for me knowing I had a few more feet of building going up soon. So I then cut (2) 2x4 braces for each pier and screwed them in using 3" gold screws, not real gold, but they are called that. Not sure why other than their color. We then attached the linoleum.  Sure we risked it getting damaged from adding this early, but by placing it under the bottom plates of all the walls, we figured less water penetration into the floor this way. So far so good- no big gouges yet. These walls went up in less than 20 minutes and I was working alone this day. By allowing an overhang
 What's New A month has gone by and of course by now you know that had Mrs. Sheep delivered a live or dead lamb, I would have been eagerly posting the news. Well, her due date has come and is long gone and we have decided to rent a Ram from a friend to make sure the deed is done and we will be expectant farmers in just a few months.  The Ram has indeed been delivered to the farm, today in fact. His name is Liam and he is a fine hair sheep of the breed St Croix. Looks to be at 100-125 pounds and he hit the ground ready to do his duty. Not so sure about Mrs. Sheep. While her  introduction was not so much seduction, she seemed interested though in tried and true 'hard to get' fashion, her interest was feigned with a distancing dash to the pen. Things look to be busy for the month and I am sure he will get it done. New due date will be 5 months from now or March 12 plus or minus. Rambo of course, is totally confused as to the new occupant of the property and doesn't know wh